Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Oct 31 16:44:02 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 October 2013, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 October 2013 21:19:43 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 October 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Soon I will be replacing code like
> > >
> > >  find_package(KF5 REQUIRED CMake Compiler InstallDirs)
> > >
> > > with
> > >
> > >  include(KDEInstallDirs)
> > >  include(KDECMakeSettings)
> > >  include(KDECompilerSettings)
>
> +1.
> This actually makes more sense to me.
>
> Alex: remember our discussion on using KDECMakeSettings in "non-kde"
> applications? If such an app doesn't use anything from KF5 (i.e. no
> framework), it is very confusing to write
>    find_package(KF5 REQUIRED CMake).
> Instead, include(KDECMakeSettings) makes it clear that we're only using a
> .cmake file (from ECM, the "kde cmake stuff") that defines some settings.
>
> Same thing for include(KDEInstallDirs), very consistent with the
> alternative, include(GNUInstallDirs).
>
> These 3 things are quite separate from KF5 components (frameworks) IMHO.

You could do that before too.
It just seemed to me to be a bit more convenient to be able to do:

find_package(KF5 COMPONENTS CMake InstallDirs Compiler Solid KArchive ...)

instead of

include(KDEInstallDirs)
include(KDECMakeSettings)
include(KDECompilerSettings)

find_package(KF5 COMPONENTS Solid KArchive ...)

FindKF5.cmake is and was basically completely optional, just adding
convenience and the guarantee to find packages from the same installation.

Alex