Getting ecm files from the ECM package

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Oct 31 09:03:52 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 30 October 2013 21:19:43 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 October 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Soon I will be replacing code like
> >
> >  find_package(KF5 REQUIRED CMake Compiler InstallDirs)
> >
> > with
> >
> >  include(KDEInstallDirs)
> >  include(KDECMakeSettings)
> >  include(KDECompilerSettings)

+1.
This actually makes more sense to me.

Alex: remember our discussion on using KDECMakeSettings in "non-kde"
applications? If such an app doesn't use anything from KF5 (i.e. no
framework), it is very confusing to write
   find_package(KF5 REQUIRED CMake).
Instead, include(KDECMakeSettings) makes it clear that we're only using a
.cmake file (from ECM, the "kde cmake stuff") that defines some settings.

Same thing for include(KDEInstallDirs), very consistent with the alternative,
include(GNUInstallDirs).

These 3 things are quite separate from KF5 components (frameworks) IMHO.