Helping out with Frameworks 5

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 16 23:05:41 UTC 2013

Hi Casian,

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 14:35:39 Casian Andrei wrote:
> I want to help out with Frameworks 5 and/or Plasma 2. Perhaps it is best to
> start writing some unit tests, since I am not too familiar with the code.
> My favorite activities include removing chunks of obsolete and ugly code,
> but this one should be left for another time :-)
>
> What should I look into?

More unittests would definitely be very useful. I know that Plasma is lacking
n that area, there are some unittest, but definitely no great coverage.

The kdelibs cleanup Epic still has some open todos, this is the current focus
for work on frameworks.

> Where can I find out what needs to be done? Looking at the wiki [1], it is
> unclear what I can jump into.
>
> Currently I have set up an acceptable devel environment, built frameworks5 /
> plasma2, so I'm ready to start doing something useful.

In Plasma, we're currently at a stage where things start to work, but are
lacking in many areas. You could have a look at that by trying to set it up as
your desktop, that way you'll likely already come across many things that
you'll find lacking. There's your almost endless stream of inspiration what to
do. ;) Before you begin on a task, check with us on IRC to coordinate, then
get cracking. :)

Cheers,
--
sebas