Bring kdewin back?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Oct 14 23:15:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While trying to get KDE Frameworks to build on Windows, I found the
> codebase of KDirWatch is full of Unixisms. I did a few improvements
> towards getting it to build on Windows, but I'm now getting several
> errors related to the lack of symbolic links (such as no lstat). It's
> clear this code couldn't have possibly worked on Windows directly, and
> the only way it ever worked is through the use of kdewin to provide
> Unix-like compatibility headers.
>
> Other libraries have similar problems. It seems to me that someone
> removed the dependency on kdewin without making the code actually work
> without it. Why was it removed? Where can I find the discussion about
> it, if there was any? If the intention is getting rid of the kdewin
> dependency, can we *temporarily* bring it back to get things to work
> again, and then remove it *progressively* as things get fixed?
>
> --
> Nicolás

Hi Nicolás,
It's good to know that there's somebody out there taking care of kf5 on
windows. I'm unsure of what to say, though. Maybe you can come up with a
list of issues so that we can fix them? At least some output log could be
useful...

We'll be working on making the different frameworks compilable separately
soon enough (actually this should already be the case, although I've seen
problems coming up), maybe it will be easier then to try to compile them
one by one and come up with something easier to digest. There are things in
kdelibs/frameworks that are of no use on windows (thinking of
frameworksintegration, for example).

Hope this helps :)

Aleix