Bring kdewin back?

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 21:42:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

While trying to get KDE Frameworks to build on Windows, I found the
codebase of KDirWatch is full of Unixisms. I did a few improvements
towards getting it to build on Windows, but I'm now getting several
errors related to the lack of symbolic links (such as no lstat). It's
clear this code couldn't have possibly worked on Windows directly, and
the only way it ever worked is through the use of kdewin to provide
Unix-like compatibility headers.

Other libraries have similar problems. It seems to me that someone
removed the dependency on kdewin without making the code actually work
without it. Why was it removed? Where can I find the discussion about
it, if there was any? If the intention is getting rid of the kdewin
dependency, can we *temporarily* bring it back to get things to work
again, and then remove it *progressively* as things get fixed?

--
Nicolás