Review Request 113046: Move kconfigwidgets to tier3

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Oct 14 11:37:35 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 15:09:35 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2013 14:48:45 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

> > > Still, what would be the difference between tier2 and tier3 if tier2
> > > frameworks were allowed to depend on other tier2 frameworks?
> >
> > I don't know.
> >
> > I don't see any benefit of 3 tiers instead of 2. I'd collapse tier3 into
> > tier2 if it was my decision :).
>
> I agree with this, but I think you should start a separate thread to discuss
> this topic, otherwise it is going to be missed by David, Kevin and others.

For the record, I strongly disagree with this. It's one of the design
decisions taken during Platform 11 that I think should survive (some other we
changed along the way of course). The tiers are here to give information to
third parties using our frameworks. Why three for the number of tiers and not
two or twenty? It's almost arbitrary of course. Three is an interesting sweet
spot from a third parties perspective as it gives a gradual picture of the
dependency tree depth you pull while at the same time not overdoing it. At one
point conveying the dependency tree depth doesn't bring value anymore hence
why it should be kept low. OTOH, with one or two you loose the "gradual
effect" (I lack a better word here) completely.

So yes, this choice in the number of tiers is mostly for communication with
outsiders purpose and marketing (tier 1 easy to reuse, tier 2 a bit more deps
but manageable still, tier 3 be ready to be motivated to bring them in your
project).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net