KMediaPlayer

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Nov 22 14:35:37 UTC 2013

On Saturday 16 November 2013 09:47:02 Alex Merry wrote:
> Since getting KMediaPlayer into a tier is relatively urgent, given
> Kevin's plan to split the repo next week, I thought I'd just let people
> know that I won't be able to do anything on it until at least Monday
> afternoon.  So if anyone wants to work on it, you won't be
> duplicating/interfering with my work.
>
> It's most of the way there.  Blocking things:
> * Decide whether kfileaudiopreview and kmediaplayer actually belong in
> the same framework (they're basically unrelated, except in that they
> both deal with multimedia)
> * Figure out what tests/autotests are appropriate, and implement them
> * Decide whether it's a tier3 or tier4 framework (kfileaudiopreview is a
> KIO preview plugin; kmediaplayer is a skeleton/interface for a
> multimedia KPart)

kfileaudiopreview: I discussed it with Kévin and we agree that it should go to
tier4 (since it's about integration stuff without API).

KMediaPlayer OTOH is clearly API => tier3.

> Other things that should be considered, but aren't that urgent:
> * A bunch of methods take/return ints whose values should be drawn from
> an enum; should these be QFlags instead?  This would be SIC, but not in
> a huge way (and there are few users, according to LXR)

I would say yes, make the change. Type safety is worth a small SIC.

> * Implement a default KMediaPlayer part using Phonon (the two existing
> implementations, outside the kdelibs repo, are from kmplayer and kmid)
> * maybe strip the d-pointer stuff out of kfileaudiopreview and/or rename
> the headers to _p.h, since it is a plugin rather than API?

Only needed if it stays inside a framework. So, it depends on the discussion
above. Although, even in a framework, if the directory name is clear (e.g.
plugin rather than lib), _p.h isn't really needed.

E.g. most headers under QTDIR/src/plugins are *.h, not *_p.h.

> * should it really export a D-Bus interface?  If so, should that be
> MPRIS-based? Note that there may not be enough info in the current
> virtuals to do an MPRIS-based one.

No clue about MPRIS, sorry.