KMediaPlayer

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Nov 16 09:47:02 UTC 2013

Since getting KMediaPlayer into a tier is relatively urgent, given
Kevin's plan to split the repo next week, I thought I'd just let people
know that I won't be able to do anything on it until at least Monday
afternoon.  So if anyone wants to work on it, you won't be
duplicating/interfering with my work.

It's most of the way there.  Blocking things:
* Decide whether kfileaudiopreview and kmediaplayer actually belong in
the same framework (they're basically unrelated, except in that they
both deal with multimedia)
* Figure out what tests/autotests are appropriate, and implement them
* Decide whether it's a tier3 or tier4 framework (kfileaudiopreview is a
KIO preview plugin; kmediaplayer is a skeleton/interface for a
multimedia KPart)

Other things that should be considered, but aren't that urgent:
* A bunch of methods take/return ints whose values should be drawn from
an enum; should these be QFlags instead?  This would be SIC, but not in
a huge way (and there are few users, according to LXR)
* Implement a default KMediaPlayer part using Phonon (the two existing
implementations, outside the kdelibs repo, are from kmplayer and kmid)
* maybe strip the d-pointer stuff out of kfileaudiopreview and/or rename
the headers to _p.h, since it is a plugin rather than API?
* should it really export a D-Bus interface?  If so, should that be
MPRIS-based? Note that there may not be enough info in the current
virtuals to do an MPRIS-based one.

Alex