Having a Tier 0 for cmake and git submodules

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Nov 11 06:06:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, November 10, 2013 20:11:07 David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2013 13:44:09 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > I would highly recommend doing something similar to what was done for
> > strigi  when it was split into 5 git modules.
>
> I think you misunderstood the issue?
>
> A super-repo might help automating "building all of KF5", but it doesn't
> solve the issue of "defining the install dirs and compiler settings in the
> separate karchive tarball".
>
> The stuff in the super-repo won't be in the karchive tarball, so it's
> unrelated to the discussion in this thread, unless I'm missing something.

I believe the idea is that the karchive tarball would have an implicit
dependency on a "KF5 umbrella" supermodule, no? I.e. what we're calling ECM
now would be replaced by a "tier0"... although, re-reading Kévin's email, it
seems that ECM would still be a separate dependency (but made generic) and
that tier0 would be implicitly included with all tier1 repositories (or, *all*
repositories?).

I have to admit I'd like that even less, if we're going to be making "one-stop
git modules" for developer convenience I'd argue that we should replace ECM in
that list of dependencies with Alex's proposed "KF5 umbrella", which gives the
same number of overall dependencies but still has the submodule magic (to hide
the actual number of dependencies) and retains the generic/KDE split for CMake
settings. As you mention elsewhere we'd still need to support a separate
release of our KDE CMake build system files for third-party software to depend
on.

I will point out that kdecvs-build (from waaaaay back in the day) had to
support kde-common/admin, which wasn't much fun either. I was very glad to
have gotten away from that for KDE 4, especially since each tarball release
had seemingly 800k added just from KDE 3 buildsystem cruft alone, which had to
be duplicated into the tarball each time.

> [And FWIW, the strigi setup has always given me a lot of trouble (but
> probably because it was a special case rather than the common case)]

Same here, it was the reason kdesrc-build now supports a "build-script-ignore"
file to completely hide the strigi/strigi super-repository... but that feature
ended up being needed for various websites now based in git anyways.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne