Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 15:08:04 UTC 2013

On Sunday 10 November 2013, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2013 14:05:32 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > To build karchive itself, they would need cmake + tier0-kf5 + ECM
>
> Which is exactly what I want to avoid.
>
> You wrote "To build software using karchive with cmake, they still need
> only cmake." but this requires karchive to be installed first. On a linux
> distro, no problem. But on Windows, they will have to build karchive
> themselves (unless we make binary packages, which I heavily doubt we will
> do). So the problem is real. I do NOT want to have to tell people "install
> 3 build- system components before you can even build this very simple
> library".

I guess the 3 buildsystem components would be cmake, ecm and tier0 ?

I understand that this sounds like a lot when starting from scratch.
As I said in some other thread, I was hoping that ecm would become so common,
especially since I wanted it to be not bound to KDE, that it would anyway
already be on the machine of a developer who uses cmake.
This would leave only the tier0 package to be installed for the average
developer using cmake.

There are two things I find a bit surprising here.
In KF5 we go great lengths to split the C++ libraries quite fine granular, not
only based on different dependencies, but also on their purpose. For cmake
"libraries" this correctness is apparently not a valid argument for splitting.

OTOH, splitting the cmake "library" into two is considered bad because
requiring the developer to install one more package is bad, but in C++ we'll
have a lot of separate frameworks, and somebody wanting to build a tier3
framework will be required to install a whole bunch of packages, and this is
not seen as a problem (it's actually the point of the splitting).

But it's ok.

Alex