Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Nov 1 19:06:43 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 November 2013, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> On Friday 01 November 2013 15:46:30 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> > Maven is a disgusting monstrosity used by the Java crowd where
> > backwards compatibility rarely exists, and the approach to make things
> > not break is to make packages depend on exact versions of dependencies
> > and download them automatically from who-knows-where. And then the
> > same craziness gets copied or reinvented for other languages too.
> >
> > "You don’t want a build tool which automatically downloads unresolved
> > dependencies before cleaning out your build output directories. You
> > don’t want a build tool which automatically downloads unresolved
> > dependencies, PERIOD! Automatically downloading unresolved
> > dependencies makes your build process nondeterministic!" --
> > http://kent.spillner.org/blog/work/2009/11/14/java-build-tools.html
> >
> > I'm also surprised at "Almost everybody has internet access for build
> > machines". Is there *any* Linux distro where that's the case??

I understand all that, and I know that in some (a few...most) places this is a
hard condition. I am also aware that in some (a few...most) other places
getting always the latest from the internet is perfectly ok and prefered.

Anyway, attached is a quick experiment, which adds the 3 KDE*.cmake files from
extra-cmake-modules/ to kf5umbrella/, by that turning it into tier0/, with the
optional ability (-DWITH_ECM) to download ECM and install ECM when building
and installing kf5umbrella itself.

If that option was enabled when installing kf5umbrella, kf5umbrella will load
that embedded ECM when asked for ECM.
In this quick hack attached here
find_package(KF5Umbrella)
unconditionally loads KDECMakeSettings.cmake.
The version attached here does a find_package(ECM), except if this step is
skipped by the using package via set(KDE_SKIP_ECM TRUE).
If WITH_ECM was not enabled when installing kf5umbrella/, it searches the
normal system ECM, otherwise it uses the "embedded" one.

In case we decide to go this way (i.e. the "my ideal view" plus optional
downloading), and we should hear Stephens opinion on that, I volunteer to
maintain extra-cmake-modules, iff the three KDE*.cmake files are moved out of
ECM, and I'll move it to github, to make contributing by others easier.

Alex