Bad rpath/LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings in kdelibs build scripts?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue May 21 13:56:29 UTC 2013

I'm getting issues with building kdelibs-frameworks where I have either
kdelibs4 installed in /usr or a sufficiently old version of
kdelibs-frameworks installed somewhere referenced by LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

The issue seems to be that executables built and used in the build
process (like meinproc, but also tests when running "make test") find
the installed version of various libraries (like libki18n) rather than
the just-built versions.  The actual error messages I get are from the
loader about unresolved symbols, like
/home/kf5-devel/build/kdelibs-frameworks/bin/meinproc4: symbol lookup
error: ./bin/meinproc4: undefined symbol:
_ZN18QCommandLineOptionC1ERK11QStringListRK7QStringS5_bS2_

I'm not entirely sure how this stuff is *supposed* to be handled by the
buildsystem; with kdelibs4 it always just worked.

I guess it may be partly a result of things being
split-up-but-not-really in the current repo, so we have semi-independent
build systems that are all run together.

I know that the following makes the build work:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/build/kdelibs-frameworks/lib:$HOME/build/kdelibs-frameworks/staging/ki18n/src:$HOME/build/kdelibs-frameworks/libkdeqt5staging/src:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
make

Anyone any ideas?  Is there an easy way to fix this, or is this just
something we'll have to put up with until the repo split?

Alex