KGlobalSettings move to kde4support

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jun 20 05:50:04 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 19 June 2013 15:04:57 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2013-06-18 11:54, Aleix Pol wrote:

> >> What are these used for? They sound like WM colors?
> >>
> >>   It's used a bit outside of kdelibs, but not much indeed. Still as you
> >>   said

> >> Perhaps, but KColorScheme already has quite some colors and they are
> >> (fairly) well organized at the moment. I would like to understand first
> >> what these other colors are used for and if maybe existing colors should
> >> be
> >> used instead, or at least how to best fit them into the existing
> >> framework.
> >
> > Here you can see where and how it's used:
> >
> > http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=activeTitleColor
> > http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=inactiveTitleColor
> > http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=activeCaptionColor
> > http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=inactiveCaptionColor
>
> Yes, those appear to be the WM colors.
I just had a look at the usage of KGlobalSettings inside KWin: none of these
colors are used - neither in KWin core nor in the window decorations shipped
with KWin. KWin reads color values with these names from a config group called
"WM" without using KGlobalSettings (see kde-
workspace/kwin/libkdecorations/kdecoration_p.cpp line 60ff). But tracing back
the argument passed into this method: it always reads the values from kwinrc,
never from kdeglobals. In case that had once been supported: it's at least
broken since 4.0.

So from my side there is no need to keep any special handling. If we want to
make this work again we just need to modify the KCM to change kwin's config
file for these colors.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin