Ki18n mostly ready

Kevin Ottens ervin+bluesystems at kde.org
Wed Jul 31 20:43:59 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 19:58:52 Chusslove Illich wrote:
> Ki18n modifications for KF5 are now roughly completed, in the sense that it
> behaves according to the new spec, the frameworks branch compiles, and the
> existing unit tests pass (those still applicable). Things left to do
> include:
>
>   * Update KDE5PORTING.html (the few salient points).
>   * Update kconfig_compiler and KXmlGui for linking to catalogs.

What's needed for kconfig_compiler? Because currently kconfig isn't supposed
to depend on ki18n at all.

>   * Add more unit tests for i18n and especially xi18n calls.
>   * Add more default markup for xi18n calls (because Qt Rich Text
>     cannot be mixed with KUIT markup any more).
>   * Collect documentation for translation scripting
>     (the "Translator's Guide" Doxygen page).
>   * Add unit tests for translation scripting.
>   * Enable documentation building through CMake.
>
> Should I merge the changes now? I attach the diff to *other* code in the
> frameworks branch, that was necessary for the build to work. This consists
> mostly of replacing insertCatalog calls (and stuff connected to them) with
> static resolution of translation domains.

Looks mostly good to me. I'm just wondering about the TRANSLATION_DOMAIN
define vs the use of setApplicationDomain. When is one more suited than the
other from the frameworks point of view? Also having this #define before
including klocalizedstring.h looks like a weird "API" to me.

> In the future I would examine ki18n-using frameworks as they near their
> final shape, for the finer details of the new i18n semantics (e.g. which
> i18n calls should become xi18n calls, is the catalog connection in non-code
> files properly established, etc.)

Good thanks.

Regards.
--