Ki18n mostly ready

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Wed Jul 31 17:58:52 UTC 2013

Ki18n modifications for KF5 are now roughly completed, in the sense that it
behaves according to the new spec, the frameworks branch compiles, and the
existing unit tests pass (those still applicable). Things left to do
include:

  * Update KDE5PORTING.html (the few salient points).
  * Update kconfig_compiler and KXmlGui for linking to catalogs.
  * Add more unit tests for i18n and especially xi18n calls.
  * Add more default markup for xi18n calls (because Qt Rich Text
    cannot be mixed with KUIT markup any more).
  * Collect documentation for translation scripting
    (the "Translator's Guide" Doxygen page).
  * Add unit tests for translation scripting.
  * Enable documentation building through CMake.

Should I merge the changes now? I attach the diff to *other* code in the
frameworks branch, that was necessary for the build to work. This consists
mostly of replacing insertCatalog calls (and stuff connected to them) with
static resolution of translation domains.

In the future I would examine ki18n-using frameworks as they near their
final shape, for the finer details of the new i18n semantics (e.g. which
i18n calls should become xi18n calls, is the catalog connection in non-code
files properly established, etc.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)