KStandardDirs and locale path

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Jul 20 14:14:54 UTC 2013

El Dissabte, 20 de juliol de 2013, a les 09:59:52, Chusslove Illich va
escriure:
> > [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> > Chusslove, now that we're discussing this, the current kde4 code allows
> > .mo files to be under ~/.kde/ (thanks to the multiple possible paths of
> > kstandarddirs) while the new one only finds them on
> > QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation, I know some teams (and even lokalize
> > i think) use this feature of installing in ~/.kde/ so that you don't need
> > to have root to "install" the translation.
> >
> > Are we fine with losing that feature?
>
> I never liked this as feature as such: why should it be possible to shift
> one particular application's internal resource (i.e. non-config) to another
> path, and not any other resources?
> I always looked at this as a pure
> debugging facility for translators, somewhere in between using root and
> building from source.

Everything that uses KStandardDirs has this feature, it is a kdelibs feature,
it has nothing to do as a debugging facility for translators.

> So, how about providing now something more strongly debugging oriented? Like
> an environment variable where the translator (or a translation tool like
> Lokalize) can set the search paths for compiled catalogs. Maybe it could be
> taken as current ~/.kde/... if the environment variable is not set, to
> preserve behavioral compatibility, though I'd rather have it only
> explicitly.

After reading qt5 code it seems you can use XDG_DATA_DIRS to inject
directories in GenericDataLocation, well, it's not that bad i guess

Cheers,
  Albert