KIO progress towards tier 1 framework?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jul 2 12:06:37 UTC 2013

Le mardi 2 juillet 2013 13:49:01 Mark a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> When i'm looking in the kdelibs splitting document [1] i only see KIO
> pop up twice. One to get kbookmarks out of KIO (which is work in
> progress). Another one with "kio-core" as work in progress.

Right.

> But i can't find any documentation anywhere that gives me a clear view
> as to how far KIO is on it's way to a tier 1 framework.

Well, as long as there's stuff in kio/kio, we're not done :)
The goal is very simply to move all this into kiocore and kiowidgets,
step by step (bottom up).

The current status is that I'm making a delegate factory so that kio jobs
don't instanciate their own delegates directly (which kills core/gui
separation). After that we should be able to move much more stuff to kiocore
(like the actual jobs, and the scheduler).

> I'm asking this because i'm getting more and more interested in KIO. I
> want to get it running on windows, linux and mac as tier 1 framework.
> Or more specifically, a Qt module.

A tier1 framework is pretty much a "Qt module" from a technical point of view.
It just doesn't come from qt-project.org

KIO can't be tier1 though: kio core depends on kcoreaddons (for KJob), on
KConfig and on ki18n.
  (and on kservice for some strange default-user-agent feature, maybe we can
  change that)

That makes it tier2 if we can remove the kservice dependency.
I think tier2 is not too bad, though.

> Starting from August 1st, I'll be
> trying to get that done so i'm really keen on knowing how far KIO is
> at this moment in reaching that goal and what needs to be done.

If you want to try compiling staging/kio on all platforms, please do, I'm
interested in the feedback.
The buildsystem should be ready for it, so the point is to detect unportable
constructs in the code.

> I don't know it's current state, but my interest is there (has been
> there for a few years now) and if more people are interested then i'd
> even like to propose a small KIO Sprint somewhere in August and
> somewhere in Europe.

A KIO sprint would be small, by definition, I would think :)
One of the main KIO developers apart from me is Dawit, but he's quite far
IIRC, I doubt he would be able to come. So if it's just you and me... we can
chat on IRC or here :)