KDirModelV2, KDirListerV2 and UDSEntryV2 suggestions

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:18:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday, January 21, 2013 17:53:48 Frank Reininghaus wrote:
>> http://ppenz.blogspot.de/2011/08/introducing-dolphin-20.html
>
> Ah, that's right .. it uses ItemViewsNG. of which the last commits seem to be
> in 2010, and QGraphicsView is not receiving much attention now either :/
>
> i suppose as long as ItemViewsNG+QGraphicsView doesn't bitrot too much and
> performance remains acceptable, then there's no "forced" changes required
> towards QML. maybe that will hold for a number of years yet, even.
>
> when Qt Desktop Components become available for use and testing (supposed to
> come with 5.1), that might be another option as it comes with a few things a
> dolphin-type application will need/want: visual integration with the host
> desktop (e.g. QStyle bridging) and various item views that QML currently lacks
> ... but that will still require a QAIM based model for directory listings that
> is performant.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

With all respect, QML 2 is miles away from being usable as a desktop
application!
I know since i'm trying very very hard to get there hence my recent
blog posts to make the clipboard available in QML and the application
wide shortcuts. One last thing that isn't there yet is a menu for the
right mouse button. And just implementing it on the application scene
won't work since the RMB window has to be able to go outside the area
of the application. A RMB probably has to be a top level "widget".

I'm guessing Qt5 won't be ready for full fledged desktop application -
as you would expect a desktop application - before Qt 5.2 or perhaps
even 5.3.

Aaron, do you have any news regarding that DirModel of yours and Marco
that is threaded? I would be very interested in using that one + it
saves me quite some time to make it myself :)

Cheers,
Mark