Qt5 is required

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Sat Jan 19 21:02:11 UTC 2013

On Saturday 19 January 2013 15:07:50 Jon Severinsson wrote:
> lördagen den 19 januari 2013 13:36:37 skrev  David Faure:
> > Dear KDE Frameworks hackers,
> >
> > It's time to drop the Qt4 compatibility, in order to use the new things
> > from Qt 5 which we need to continue simplifying dependencies between
> > frameworks.
>
> A follow up question: What should we do with kde3support?
>
> In it's current form it won't build on Qt5, as it depends on the Qt3Support
> module that was removed in Qt5.

Yeah. I had an old plan to support Qt3Support on Qt5 (given how much
commercial code exists out there using Qt3Support), but the removal of all
QT3_SUPPORT methods makes this rather difficult. We'll see if customer demand
brings enough funding for it, but otherwise no qt3support, so no kde3support
indeed.

> However, some parts of it does not, and could be salvaged.

Interesting, what do you have in mind?

> I'm not sure that is worth the effort though, as it has
> been deprecated for over five years by now.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. But lxr.kde.org will tell :)

> On the other hand, debian
> testing (KDE 4.8 etc.) still shows 36 packages still requiring it, so that
> deprecation notice has obviously not been taken all too seriously.

Well, not every piece of kdelibs-based code out there is actively maintained.