KDirModelV2, KDirListerV2 and UDSEntryV2 suggestions

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 15:04:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org> wrote:
> Le mercredi 9 janvier 2013 16:42:25 Mark a écrit :
>
>> Dolphin happens to be a big user here, but i'm really not talking
>> about dolphin specifically. The structures behind it are my target :)
>> Filtering will indeed be done afterwards, but you have to think about
>> it. What would be better?
>> 1. A fast usable list that resorts itself when all data is in.
>> 2. A - still fast - list but not usable till all data is in.
>> 3. A really slow and actually unusable list even when all data is in and
>> sorted. My aim with this thread it to get at number 1. Dolphin right now is
>> at number 3. Do know that i'm talking about massive folders 100.000+
>> items.
>
> I am not an expert on the lower-level details of KDirLister and KFileItem
> (even if they are used a lot in Gwenview), but from a user-experience point of
> view a list which resorts itself is going to be painful to use: it is very
> frustrating to start moving the mouse to click on an item, but by the time you
> reach the position you aimed for, the item has moved somewhere else.
>
> Aurélien

Well, sorting is very fast now (in my test environment) and fast
enough for "regular" data to be sorted before you see the data. That's
not an issue. The issue arises when data arrives in batches. For
example:
- Batch 1 comes in
- - Sort batch one
- - Present it to the user
- Batch 2 comes in
- - Sort batch 1 + 2
- - Present the new data (both batches) to the user

If there is just one batch then there is no issue at all. If there is
more then one then you will eventually see a change in your model..
OR you don't show any data till everything is in and show a complete
list. That's the current approach in dolphin but also leads to a white
window for a few seconds (depending on the number of files)

My preference would be to show data asap  even if that means that the
list will change under your mouse.