KDirModelV2, KDirListerV2 and UDSEntryV2 suggestions

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue Jan 15 14:42:59 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 9 janvier 2013 16:42:25 Mark a écrit :

> Dolphin happens to be a big user here, but i'm really not talking
> about dolphin specifically. The structures behind it are my target :)
> Filtering will indeed be done afterwards, but you have to think about
> it. What would be better?
> 1. A fast usable list that resorts itself when all data is in.
> 2. A - still fast - list but not usable till all data is in.
> 3. A really slow and actually unusable list even when all data is in and
> sorted. My aim with this thread it to get at number 1. Dolphin right now is
> at number 3. Do know that i'm talking about massive folders 100.000+
> items.

I am not an expert on the lower-level details of KDirLister and KFileItem
(even if they are used a lot in Gwenview), but from a user-experience point of
view a list which resorts itself is going to be painful to use: it is very
frustrating to start moving the mouse to click on an item, but by the time you
reach the position you aimed for, the item has moved somewhere else.

Aurélien