"kde5" or "kf5" ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 12:25:27 UTC 2013

On Monday, February 18, 2013 21:35:07 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> There's no will or indication that we'll release anything named KDE 5. If it
> was me the next release of our workspaces would be Plasma Workspaces 2...

It is likely we will not even release Plasma Workspaces $NEXT_VERSION_NUMBER
at the same time as KF5.

Our goal right now is to get the code in plasma-framework working well, and
that's what we're doing. Hopefully we can include plasma-framework with the
first big KF5 releases, and at our current pace I can see no reason that won't
be possible.

But the workspaces themselves (Desktop, Netbook, Active, Media Center) will
almost certainly need another devel cycle to get them to the point where we
can confidently release versions of them on top of KF5.

This should not hold up the release of Frameworks, which means the "SC" may
finally end up being split. We can still have release days where we make
available to the public multiple products at the same time (KF5, PW2,
applications, ..) but those products may not have the same development cycles
and practices. Several repos that make up pieces of Plasma Desktop already
have their own development cycles (networkmanagent was probably the first, and
now we have several others).

So, in summary: I concur that there is no KDE5. There is Frameworks, there is
Workspaces, there are many applications ... but they are not part of a single
product (though they do work very well, and often best, together :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo