"kde5" or "kf5" ?

Kevin Ottens ervin+bluesystems at kde.org
Mon Feb 18 20:35:07 UTC 2013

On Monday 18 February 2013 20:37:20 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 18 February 2013, David Faure wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you have in mind here. There's no concrete plans that I
> > know of, it's too early for that, but I also don't see any point in a
> > 4.15... What would that mean? Porting everything to KF5+Qt5 ... that
> > sounds like a KDE SC 5.x to me, we've always had matching version numbers.
>
> Right.
> But AFAIK we always tried to say that there will be no KDE 5...
> As Sebas confirms in his email.
> And if we'll call it "KDE 5" anyway, then why not just use "kde5" in names
> instead of "kf5", which doesn't have the well-known "kde"

There's no will or indication that we'll release anything named KDE 5. If it
was me the next release of our workspaces would be Plasma Workspaces 2...

Now as David pointed out, there's no plan on top of KF5 and it should not be
our concern from a pure frameworks point of view.

Would that be less confusing to you if it was planned to be KDE Frameworks
1.0? :-)

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net