"kde5" or "kf5" ?

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Mon Feb 18 18:58:13 UTC 2013

On Monday 18 February 2013 18:04:24 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 17 February 2013, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > Just to be clear (I think I wasn't in my previous email): it should be
> > > kf5, not kde5.
> >
> > Just to be clear too, I don't have a strong opinion on the naming, but if
> > we continue to say that KDE based on kf5 will still be KDE 4, then we
> > should not use "kde5" in various places.
> >
> > What will the version number of the first KDE SC release based on KDE
> > frameworks be actually ?
>
> Any opinions on this ?
> Will it be e.g. KDE SC 4.15 ?
> This would sound more like a normal minor release, but I expect we'll have a
> few regressions here and there.

I'm not sure what you have in mind here. There's no concrete plans that I know
of, it's too early for that, but I also don't see any point in a 4.15... What
would that mean? Porting everything to KF5+Qt5 ... that sounds like a KDE SC
5.x to me, we've always had matching version numbers. But I don't see the
point of this discussion. We're developing the framework, the apps and
workspace could, in theory, do whatever they want, this is out of our concern
(with the "frameworks" hat on). Just like the Qt5 developers (rightfully)
don't care about KDE SC 4.15 vs 5.0.