"kde5" or "kf5" ?

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Sun Feb 17 22:27:01 UTC 2013

On Saturday 16 February 2013 21:39:42 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2013-02-16, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > The tool kde4-config has also been renamed to kde5-config.
>
> What's the purpose of this tool in a non-monolithic world?

For many purposes (scripting, debugging), we do need a command-line interface
to QStandardPaths, just like kde4-config was a command-line interface to
KStandardDirs.

However both the name and the implementation of kde5-config are wrong
currently, indeed.
It should be rewritten on top of QStandardPaths (that's a TODO for me I guess,
unless anyone feels like stepping up), and a new name should be found for it.

The thing is, it could be either a pure QStandardPaths equivalent, or for more
compatibility with kde4-config it would also still answer requests for e.g.
--path xdgdata-icon, even if internally that's just GenericDataLocation +
"/icons".

In the first case we would call it something like qpaths and even put it into
Qt, while in the second case it could be called kf5-config.

Well, maximing compatibility (= minimizing porting efforts for users) is good,
so let's go for kf5-config.