Separating everything ?

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Sat Feb 9 15:56:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 02:44:14PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Our git-documentation is still... underwhelming at best.
> I won't write it, I am anything but a git expert, and I have enough other
> things to do.

Writing a single sentence about git submodule is something I can do if
necessary, or we can just tell people to use kdesrc-build.

> > What do you consider big? KHTML is "only" 13MB, and Solid is 2.2MB, is
> > that
> > also big?
> I didn't check the sizes. khtml takes long to build, so I'd assume it's one
> of the bigger ones.

Sure, but what do you consider "too big to bundle with something else"?

> Seriously, is this really any issue ?
> How often do you checkout from scratch, and that in places where you have
> slow internet ?

Just last week, when I was sitting bored in an airport, for example. Or at
the hotel I was staying before that. And this was in the Netherlands and the
US, I imagine it's not much better in other parts of the world.

> Or is this just a git limitation, that we can't update just in subdirs ?

It's a git limitation, and submodules are supposed to be a way around that
(amongst other things).

--
Martin Sandsmark