Refocusing the tech preview

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Dec 28 11:29:32 UTC 2013

On Saturday 28 December 2013 11:39:50 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 21 December 2013 12:42:04 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > I see that new tasks appeared in the wiki, that's great, they were clearly
> > missing. That said, they were all earmarked for the tech preview, so I
> > took
> > the liberty to move most of them to the list about the final release. We
> > should get the tech preview out of the door ASAP now. It won't be perfect,
> > that's fine and to be expected. What we need for it is the mechanisms in
> > place to roll out versions and collect feedback and make sure the code is
> > stable.
> >
> > As a matter of fact, I didn't move the "Ensure all the necessary files are
> > in place..." task only because it was already started. But really it's
> > something to do post-tech preview, so I'd welcome it put on the side for
> > now and considered for the final. It's OK if we don't have README files
> > everywhere for the tech preview.
> >
> > Please let's not disperse and push toward the tech preview which is almost
> > there. The (badly needed) polishing is for the months after that tech
> > preview.
>
> Many people are surprised by the lack of camelcase forwarding headers in the
> current frameworks (unless depending on kde4support). Shouldn't we have
> that in the tech preview? Otherwise people can't even use the tech preview
> for anything, especially in the case of existing code, leading to commits
> like "change all camelcase includes to lowercase includes" (as happened
> recently in kate).

Well, they could keep the dependency on kde4support just for those headers.
But I see what you mean... OK, let's put it back in, but it'll need a strong
push from everyone otherwise we'll get the TP1 slipping even more which I
really don't like.

> This seems to me like a pre-requisite for any kind of release -- and
> especially a final release for KArchive and ThreadWeaver.

Well, let's not fool ourselves. They're not final releases. We'll have new
iterations for those until 5.0 is released.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net