Refocusing the tech preview

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Dec 28 10:39:50 UTC 2013

On Saturday 21 December 2013 12:42:04 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I see that new tasks appeared in the wiki, that's great, they were clearly
> missing. That said, they were all earmarked for the tech preview, so I took
> the liberty to move most of them to the list about the final release. We
> should get the tech preview out of the door ASAP now. It won't be perfect,
> that's fine and to be expected. What we need for it is the mechanisms in
> place to roll out versions and collect feedback and make sure the code is
> stable.
>
> As a matter of fact, I didn't move the "Ensure all the necessary files are
> in place..." task only because it was already started. But really it's
> something to do post-tech preview, so I'd welcome it put on the side for
> now and considered for the final. It's OK if we don't have README files
> everywhere for the tech preview.
>
> Please let's not disperse and push toward the tech preview which is almost
> there. The (badly needed) polishing is for the months after that tech
> preview.

Many people are surprised by the lack of camelcase forwarding headers in the
current frameworks (unless depending on kde4support). Shouldn't we have that
in the tech preview? Otherwise people can't even use the tech preview for
anything, especially in the case of existing code, leading to commits like
"change all camelcase includes to lowercase includes" (as happened recently in
kate).

This seems to me like a pre-requisite for any kind of release -- and
especially a final release for KArchive and ThreadWeaver.