Framework metadata

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Dec 19 09:55:01 UTC 2013

On 19 December 2013 08:47, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 December 2013 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>>
>> The information in the DOAP file can also be used to generate manifest
>> files for Inqlude (http://inqlude.org/)
>
> For this to work we need at least the following data in the DOAP file:
>
> * machine-readable name as identifier (all lower-case, no spaces or other
> special characters)
> * human-readable display name
> * one line short description
> * longer description (preferably in markdown, so it can be properly formatted
> independent of the technology used for displaying it)
> * link to home page
> * link to source code repository
> * link to download page of release tarballs (optional)
> * list of licenses
> * list of authors (at least one person with a name and an email address)
> * list of supported platforms

I think I mentioned in the AppData thread the need for a KDE metadata
file to help us manage our repos, and that all other metadata files
could be generated from.  This would apply to apps and workspace as
well as frameworks.  At the time I sketched out some metadata I
thought would be useful for every KDE repo to have in a .desktop file,
although more from an internal organisational and end-user viewpoint:

group=[frameworks|workspaces|
applications]
categories=[games|education|multimedia|graphics|...]
maturity=[experimental|incubator|stable|deprecated|unmaintained]
release-cycle=[official|independent|unreleased]
stable-release=<version number>
stable-release-branch=<git branch>
stable-release-date=
unstable-release=
unstable-release-branch=
unstable-release-date=
dev-branch=
maintainers=<git id>
name=
short-description=
description=
website=
forum=
user-mailing-list=
dev-mailing-list=
irc=
bugzilla=<url>
bugzilla-product=
bugzilla-component=
reviewboard=<url>
reviewboard-group=

Looking at DOAP, there's a lot of overlap and it looks very flexible
and if it's being widely adopted then I see it as an option.  The
XML/RDF is a bit complex/verbose though, any other options available
out there?

Cheers!

John.