Fwd: Tracking bugs in Frameworks

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Dec 16 18:30:25 UTC 2013

On Monday 16 December 2013 19:01:25 David Edmundson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>
wrote:
> > On Monday 16 December 2013 11:58:35 David Edmundson wrote:
> >> I think if we did that it would be a good idea to prefix the names
> >> with a common element like
> >> "frameworks-coreaddons" "frameworks-kio" etc.
> >
> > I don't think it needs the prefix. For a description, we have the product
> > description in bugzilla. So that should be fine. We don't have users who
> > report bugs against frameworks directly, they neither know "kio" nor
> > "frameworks- kio". For our triaging team it shouldn't matter much and
> > from us developers I expect that we know it.
>
> I disagree.
>
> We will (hopefully) have a lot of developers who use Frameworks who
> are not 'KDE' reporting bugs on the parts they do use.
You mean 3rd party developers using e.g. KF5Archive? In that case I expect
that
a) they know that they use KArchive
b) they will use Ctrl+F to find it in the product list. Hey even I do that to
get to KWin, I'm not scrolling a list of hundreds of products starting with
"K". It would be just the same with a prefix frameworks.
> Having the
> frameworks scattered over a huge list of 'noise'  when they are sorted
> alphabetically would be really annoying. Certainly when I have to
> update all the versions in bugzilla after a release I do not want to
> have to go hunting to find all of them.
No, you don't want to create those versions in the first place. If we have to
create a version for each of the frameworks manually through the web interface
we do something wrong.

> That said, I don't want to bikeshed over what isn't a particularly
> massive point. Maybe someone can make an executive decision.
neither do I and this time I cannot bring the argument that you have no clue
about bugzilla to silence your argument :-P So executive decision sounds fine.

Cheers
Martin