Framework diagrams

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Dec 4 18:02:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I worked on generating diagrams for KF5 frameworks. The current output can
> be
> browsed here:
>
>   http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5
>
> Those diagrams are created from cmake graphviz output of individual
> frameworks, which is then processed and aggregated with scripts available
> from
>
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fgateau%2Fkf5dot.git
>
> My initial goal was to create one big diagram, but it is currently way too
> messy, so I also generated one diagram per framework. For tier1 and tier2
> frameworks I included the Qt libs, but removed them for tier3 and tier4 to
> reduce clutter. I think those individual diagrams would be a nice addition
> the Doxygen doc of each framework.
>
> I initially used tred from graphviz to reduce clutter, but moved away from
> it
> because it was a bit too happy to remove dependencies: for example after
> running through tred, KCMUtils appeared to have only one dependency:
> XmlGui.
>
> I am considering generating simpler diagrams by hiding the framework
> targets.
> Hopefully it will make the big diagram more readable.
>
> Aurélien

Hi Aurélien!
This is a very nice effort, I already gave it a try and ended up quite
frustrated. Good work!

Maybe it would be interesting if we could have also a module dependencies
diagrams, without the specific libraries inside, that sound like an
implementation detail in some cases. For example, looking at KBookmarks,
having an arrow specifying that KService depends on KConfigCore is a bit
too much?

Aleix