Framework diagrams

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Dec 4 17:36:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

I worked on generating diagrams for KF5 frameworks. The current output can be
browsed here:

  http://agateau.com/tmp/kf5

Those diagrams are created from cmake graphviz output of individual
frameworks, which is then processed and aggregated with scripts available from

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fgateau%2Fkf5dot.git

My initial goal was to create one big diagram, but it is currently way too
messy, so I also generated one diagram per framework. For tier1 and tier2
frameworks I included the Qt libs, but removed them for tier3 and tier4 to
reduce clutter. I think those individual diagrams would be a nice addition to
the Doxygen doc of each framework.

I initially used tred from graphviz to reduce clutter, but moved away from it
because it was a bit too happy to remove dependencies: for example after
running through tred, KCMUtils appeared to have only one dependency: XmlGui.

I am considering generating simpler diagrams by hiding the framework targets.
Hopefully it will make the big diagram more readable.

Aurélien