KF5 kwallet, kwalletd and wallet manager questions

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Fri Aug 30 18:48:30 UTC 2013

On 08/29/2013 06:20 PM, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday 28 August 2013 20:26:45 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> If you bundle lots of stuff in the tarball you may end up "wrongly"
>> increasing your dependencies and people won't use the framework because "it
>> depends on QtNetwork" or some other stuff that it's only used in
>> kwalletmanager.
>>
>> Please let's not bundle stuff just because it's easier when there's a lot of
>> people unbundleing stuff because it's better.
>
> I agree with your statement above in general. But in that particular case for
> some of the frameworks we tend to ship the mandatory runtime bits with them.
> That would be the case for kwalletd here, not for kwalletmanager though.
>
> And it's likely kwalletd would even become optionally built if I'm not
> mistaken with secret service supposed to appear at some point.

In fact, I think that'll be better to implement secret service API in
kwalletd. But I'm still thinking about it. kwalletd serves well a lot of
people, and it only need some additions. For exemple, I plan adding a
dedicated PAM module. That would be a nice addition to the GPG backend I
already added (though, not yet merged). And kwalletd is simpler to
debug, let aparart those dreaded nested loops problems it encounters on
some set-ups. But I'm also working on that.

Regards,