Updating CMake requirement to 2.8.12 RC 1

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:33:04 UTC 2013

Rohan Garg wrote:

>> What will be different when the 2.8.12 final is released? It will be
>> needed for frameworks, and your cmake 2.8.12 package will still overwrite
>> the distro version, correct?
>>

> Correct, the difference would be that instead of releasing a unstable
> cmake which might have bugs, we will be releasing a fairly well tested
> version of cmake.

Who will have tested it so much that the final deserves the 'fairly well
tested' label, but the RC does not?

Understand that CMake release candidates are really, truly candidates for
release. That label is not something time-based or simply position-in-
release-cycle based. A release candidate is generally not made if there are
known bugs which need to be fixed for the final release.

> The more I think about it, the more it seems like a chicken and egg
> problem : New cmake might potentially break apps, hence we don't ship it,
> but if the problem is never caught, it might never be corrected and the
> final release might still have the bug.

Correct.

> I suppose people can always roll back to a stable release of cmake using
> apt if it does break their projects.

Yes.

Thanks,

Steve.