Updating CMake requirement to 2.8.12 RC 1

Rohan Garg rohan at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 11:17:45 UTC 2013

> What will be different when the 2.8.12 final is released? It will be needed
> for frameworks, and your cmake 2.8.12 package will still overwrite the
> distro version, correct?

Correct, the difference would be that instead of releasing a unstable cmake
which might have bugs, we will be releasing a fairly well tested version of
cmake.

> Why is it impossible to put the cmake 2.8.12 package in the same sandbox as
> the KDE Frameworks?

I do not know, we did not investigate sandboxing cmake since the backported
package seemed to work well for KF5.

Sure, it can be probably done, but this seems to create extra maintenance
work.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a chicken and egg problem :
New cmake might potentially break apps, hence we don't ship it, but if the
problem is never caught, it might never be corrected and the final release
might still have the bug.

I suppose people can always roll back to a stable release of cmake using apt
if it does break their projects.

Best
Rohan Garg