install paths

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Mon Aug 5 16:29:19 UTC 2013

Le lundi 5 août 2013 15:33:13 Sune Vuorela a écrit :
> Hi peoples.
>
> The following popped up in the chat channel today:
> |kf5 sonnet is looking for plugins in
> |$prefix/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/sonnet_clients/ but installs them
> |in $prefix/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/kf5/plugins/sonnet_clients
>
> or if I try to shorten it a bit
>
> |kf5 sonnet is looking for plugins in
> |
> | LIBDIRplugins/sonnet_clients/ but installs them
> |
> |in LIBDIR/plugins/kf5/plugins/sonnet_clients
>
> This immediately sparked discussions about especially the several layers
> of /plugin/ in the install target.
>
> My general take on stuff like that is that plugins for foo should go
> somewhere under LIBDIR/foo/.
>
> a directory like LIBDIR/plugins/ seems to imply that it is something
> shared between stuff, but I don't see it as something that anyone is
> using. Also I don't see how it makes sense to have a common plugin dir
> for any type of plugin. So I think that that 'plugins' should go.

We inherit the "plugins" dir from Qt itself. Qt installs image formats plugins
in LIBDIR/plugins/imageformats, styles plugins in LIBDIR/plugins/styles and so
on, so it makes sense to keep this LIBDIR/plugins/CATEGORY structure IMO.

> Next up is the '/kf5/' directory. I don't see what a shared kf5 directory
> for plugins is for since plugins for e.g. libplasma is not sensibly
> loadable by libsonnet or the other way around. So that one could go as
> well, unless we want some branding in our filepaths.

Agreed.

> Then there is another /plugin/ directory. see above.

Agreed.

> and then we are down to LIBDIR/kf5/sonnet_clients if we feel we need
> branding in the filepaths. or just LIBDIR/sonnet_clients if we just want
> to promote our frameworks.
>
> I don't see file paths as a thing to use in promo land.
>
> Most of the weird bits in the paths is apparantly coming from a variable
> called ${PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR} which as a generic term doesn't really
> makes sense.

It would still make sense if we keep the LIBDIR/plugins/CATEGORY structure.

Aurélien