install paths

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Mon Aug 5 15:33:13 UTC 2013

Hi peoples.

The following popped up in the chat channel today:

|kf5 sonnet is looking for plugins in
|$prefix/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/sonnet_clients/ but installs them
|in $prefix/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/kf5/plugins/sonnet_clients

or if I try to shorten it a bit

|kf5 sonnet is looking for plugins in
| LIBDIRplugins/sonnet_clients/ but installs them
|in LIBDIR/plugins/kf5/plugins/sonnet_clients

This immediately sparked discussions about especially the several layers
of /plugin/ in the install target.

My general take on stuff like that is that plugins for foo should go
somewhere under LIBDIR/foo/.

a directory like LIBDIR/plugins/ seems to imply that it is something
shared between stuff, but I don't see it as something that anyone is
using. Also I don't see how it makes sense to have a common plugin dir
for any type of plugin. So I think that that 'plugins' should go.

Next up is the '/kf5/' directory. I don't see what a shared kf5 directory
for plugins is for since plugins for e.g. libplasma is not sensibly
loadable by libsonnet or the other way around. So that one could go as
well, unless we want some branding in our filepaths.

Then there is another /plugin/ directory. see above.

and then we are down to LIBDIR/kf5/sonnet_clients if we feel we need
branding in the filepaths. or just LIBDIR/sonnet_clients if we just want
to promote our frameworks.

I don't see file paths as a thing to use in promo land.

Most of the weird bits in the paths is apparantly coming from a variable
called ${PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR} which as a generic term doesn't really
makes sense.

Any opinions?

Love and kisses

/Sune