please make it easier to hack on frameworks

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Apr 30 16:11:46 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 30 April 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:20:47 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > I am clueless to understand why building cmake from git and installing it
> > into your kf5 prefix is a showstopper. Can you tell me?
>
> Time is limited.
>
> Every repository that I have to build (e.g. cmake) that is not the
> repository I am trying to work on (e.g. plasma-frameworks) is time lost
> getting my tasks done.
>
> Moreover, it is one more thing to learn: where is cmake's git, how to build
> it, etc. For me that is not a big issue (I've build cmake from source many
> times in the past) but for people who might want to work on frameworks
> this kind of thing becomes a show stopper. Eventually they run into so
> many things they have to locate, build and keep up to date that they have
> no time / energy / desire to keep on.
>
> If we want to ensure that it is as difficult as possible to contribute to
> frameworks, congratulations, we're doing a great job of that. If
> frameworks is meant to be a project for you, Kevin, David and Alexander to
> work on then by all means don't worry about this. If the idea is, however,
> to make it attractive to others to work on, then some things need to
> change.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I never ever recommended to use cmake from
git (or cvs back then), with KDE 4 we always required released versions.

I would also prefer this for KF5, but it seemed to be consensus here on the
list that using cmake from git is just fine.

I don't like that, the same way as I don't like to have to update Qt from git,
especially without announcement emails.

I have one or two hours several evenings per week, and if I want to do
something and notice it doesn't build, and cmake doesn't even tell me why,
then this really sucks.
I wanted to do something yesterday, but I left it after I ended up with a bad
system introspection result.

Alex