Sonnet status?

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Thu Nov 8 23:05:06 UTC 2012

Hi!

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:19:06PM +0100, Christoph Feck wrote:
> The moment I clicked on "Send", I realized this is frameworks list...
> so you probably were only interested in porting status...

Well, I originally wanted to work on merging the language detection and
grammar checking, but then found out that splitting it out should be a
priority.

> On Thursday 08 November 2012 23:16:44 Christoph Feck wrote:
> > Unfortunately, no. Rumors say, that once Jacob Rideout announced
> > his language detection engine, he got hijacked by aliens. Natural
> > Language Processing is a patent-loaded minefield anyway.

Luckily I live in a free country (and if we're going to worry about patents
we should stop serving content over HTTPS¹ and stop using the Linux kernel,
but I guess everyone knows my stance on this...).

> > Okey, seriously, what exactly do you have in mind for future
> > direction of Sonnet? I am very interested in machine linguistics,
> > but failed so far to have a concrete vision for useful/usable API.

First: Finish the KF5 splitting, and then eventually finish up and merge in
the automatic language detection.

Then I plan on implementing support for grammar checking, re-using the XML
format (and files) from LanguageTool (languagetool.org), which seems to be
what is used in LibreOffice/OpenOffice. It's written in Java so we can't
really use it directly, and the existing grammar checking implementation for
sonnet connects to this over the network, but I thought it would be much
more efficient to just parse the XML format ourselves.

But; frameworks first.

¹: https://www.cipherlawgroup.com/blog/tqp-sues-another-round-of-companies-on-cryptography-patent/

--
Martin Sandsmark