kcoreaddons doesn't compile standalone ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 14 20:54:20 UTC 2012

On Monday 14 May 2012 22:36:51 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 14 May 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > On Monday 14 May 2012 21:22:25 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>
> > > If our goal is to ship "normal" libraries, we partly go against this if
> > > another meta-build system is necessary to use them.
> >
> > Note I never said "necessary"... It's not "necessary" to use kdesrc-build
> > or the like[*] as a third party, but it's also a nice option if you want
> > to.
> >
> > Option which I bring because you're complaining about "meh too much
> > dependencies to deal with".
>
> Please note that it was not me, but David who mentioned the "lots of manual
> setup" without the help of kdesrc-build.
> Also, it was not me who said a separate automoc package is too much
> dependencies, this was brought to me from users (developers).
> I just wanted to bring to attention that this will be the normal case for at
> least some group of 3rd party developers.

You're confusing two things.

Someone who wants to use one or two frameworks, will be happy with splitted
libs, and won't have lots of manual work. It'll just be one or two libs to
compile, just like any other dependency they use.

On the other hand, a KDE developer who wants to check that *all* frameworks
still compile and work, after making a change in say kcoreaddons, needs a way
to do that easily. This is the case right now (compiling all of kdelibs in one
go), and this will be the case with splitted modules in the future (using
tools such as kdesrc-build). However if you keep the sources in kdelibs *and*
dissociate them from the main build system, then it becomes quite tedious
(weird setup with no tool support).

Please keep in mind that we have lots of work to do on the code, before we can
finally move stuff out, so please don't make it harder for those [too few]
working on the code :)