kcoreaddons doesn't compile standalone ?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon May 14 20:26:05 UTC 2012

On Monday 14 May 2012 21:22:25 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 14 May 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.
> > > The "lots of manual setup" David mentions, will be the normal case for
> > > 3rd party developers who want to use let's say some tier>1 library.
> > > They will have to get and build all the small repositories themselves
> > > one
> > > by one, without the help of kdesrc-build.
> >
> > Why without the help of kdesrc-build?
>
> This is how I integrate 3rd party libraries into our proprietary application
> at work: it uses cmake, and 3rd party BSD- or similar licensed libraries
> are integrated via cmake's external_project() support and built statically.
> If I would want to use kitemmodels, I would want to integrate this as
> another external_project() in our build.
> I very much would not want to use a tool which grabs stuff from somewhere
> from the network, I want it to use the files I downloaded and had a look
> at. I also would not want to integrate a meta-buildsystem like kdesrc-build
> as an external_project() in a cmake based build.
>
> In a previous job, colleagues had the same view: they had to ship something
> where they are responsible for that it works, so they did not want anything
> which updates or downloads from the net.

That's fine it's your choice.

> If our goal is to ship "normal" libraries, we partly go against this if
> another meta-build system is necessary to use them.

Note I never said "necessary"... It's not "necessary" to use kdesrc-build or
the like[*] as a third party, but it's also a nice option if you want to.

Option which I bring because you're complaining about "meh too much
dependencies to deal with". If that's a problem, either you bring a
specialized tool which takes away some of the work and control, or you keep
doing things by hand, more work and more control.

You can't really play at switching between the two cases to paint the
situation in black because they both have cons... They also both have pros, as
a third party you choose one or the other depending on what you try to
optimize (roughly: amount of work vs control). You can't have it both.

Regards.

[*] I actually doubt kdesrc-build will make it for third parties, it seems
very ad hoc to people working for KDE.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net