HIG standards (

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Sun May 13 20:11:10 UTC 2012

On Saturday 12 May 2012 18:36:42 Mark wrote:

>  / As for making a "HIG" keyboard standard list. A very good starting
>  point is:
/>/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts />/
/>/ Every single line where the same key combination is used in both:
Windows,
/>/ Mac, KDE en GNOME can be considered as de-facto standard key imho.
Though
/>/ the list has to be viewed with care since the very first item "Activate
/>/ current application's Menu bar" is already wrong for KDE. It's not just
/>/ ALT. It's ALT + M iirc.

Here's our online reference for KDE keyboard shortcut HIG:
/http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Keyboard_Shortcuts

Ctrl-M toggles the visibility of the bar /(without selecting it). Some
KDE Applications implement this (e.g. Gwenview, Dolphin), but others do
not (e.g., KDevelop). None of these 3 applications provide "Focus to the
Menu Bar" via F10, as documented in our guidelines. Dolphin uses that
key to create a new item, and the other two seem to completely ignore
the key event.

I'll recheck the Qt "StandardKey" table and documentation later tonight
, maybe scribble some fixes. But it looks like Wikipedia is wrong about
"Alt + M" on KDE.
BTW, Here are some other references for keyboard shortcuts:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/KeyboardShortcuts/KeyboardShortcuts.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002725-SW2
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb545461.aspx
http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/input-keyboard.html.en#standard-shortcuts

/>/ While looking at that wiki list i'm quickly realizing that we're never
/>/ going to get a standard keyboard + mouse mapping for generic keys across
/>/ all major desktop environments.

That's because no such conventions exist- yet. We'll be the first to
create them. It's possible that the GNOME people will cooporate with us,
and share certain values, if we let them know what we came up with.
(That would be helpful, of course.)