libqtmimetypes ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun May 13 18:10:33 UTC 2012

On Sunday 13 May 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> It used to buils standalone, but Rolf Eike Beer moved it around for his
> >> own packaging reasons I think.
> >>
> >> I think you should ignore libinqt5, libqt5staging and libqtmimetypes.
> >> They don't need to build standalone and their existence is just
> >> temporary while frameworks is source compatible with Qt 4 and while the
> >> libqt5staging stuff isn't upstream in Qt.
> >>
> >> In the greater frameworks plan (ie in terms of what we will release),
> >> they are completely irrelevant.
> >
> > Yes, I know, but I can't ignore them.
> > When trying to build something in e.g. tier1/ standalone, I don't have
> > the kdelibs environment around.
> > So if it uses something from libinqt5, it must find the installed
> > libinqt5, same for qtmimetypes and for kdeqt5staging.
> >
> > The current situation is really quite complicated for the buildsystem, we
> > have four ways to build:
> > * Qt4, all in one
> > * Qt4, standalone
> > * Qt5, all in one
> > * Qt5, standalone
> >
> > Getting and then keeping them all four working at the same time is hard.
>
> Yes, but for you only the ones building against Qt 5 are relevant really.
>
> Also, if you build against Qt 5, then libinqt5 and libqtmimetypes are no
> longer needed. Then only kdeqt5staging is needed and even then only for
> kcoreaddons, not all frameworks, so it's less of a big deal.
>
> There's no point in making efforts to build standalone against Qt 4.
> Support for building against Qt 4 is not going to remain long enough for
> that to be relevant.

I was happy until now that it still works with Qt4.
Are there plans when to stop supporting building against Qt4 ?
When building against Qt5, is the alpha ok or is a git clone needed ?
If we can rely on a release, even if alpha, in general I'd prefer stopping Qt4
support rather sooner than later.

Alex