libqtmimetypes ?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun May 13 16:58:29 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Sunday 13 May 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > in libinqt5/src/ there is a libqtmimetypes.
>> > This contains again a complete project.
>> > Is this supposed to be buildable standalone, or always only inside
>> > libinqt5 ?
>>
>> It used to buils standalone, but Rolf Eike Beer moved it around for his
>> own packaging reasons I think.
>>
>> I think you should ignore libinqt5, libqt5staging and libqtmimetypes.
>> They don't need to build standalone and their existence is just temporary
>> while frameworks is source compatible with Qt 4 and while the
>> libqt5staging stuff isn't upstream in Qt.
>>
>> In the greater frameworks plan (ie in terms of what we will release),
>> they are completely irrelevant.
>
> Yes, I know, but I can't ignore them.
> When trying to build something in e.g. tier1/ standalone, I don't have the
> kdelibs environment around.
> So if it uses something from libinqt5, it must find the installed
> libinqt5, same for qtmimetypes and for kdeqt5staging.
>
> The current situation is really quite complicated for the buildsystem, we
> have four ways to build:
> * Qt4, all in one
> * Qt4, standalone
> * Qt5, all in one
> * Qt5, standalone
>
> Getting and then keeping them all four working at the same time is hard.

Yes, but for you only the ones building against Qt 5 are relevant really.

Also, if you build against Qt 5, then libinqt5 and libqtmimetypes are no
longer needed. Then only kdeqt5staging is needed and even then only for
kcoreaddons, not all frameworks, so it's less of a big deal.

There's no point in making efforts to build standalone against Qt 4. Support
for building against Qt 4 is not going to remain long enough for that to be
relevant.

Thanks,

Steve.