[kdelibs/frameworks] /: Change kde4 to kde5 in subdir names (services, servicetypes, plugins etc.)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 23:21:02 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 27 March 2012 23:47:49 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2012, David Faure wrote:

> > > Which makes sense in that case IMO, since it enforces the conventions
> > > followed by the KDE community.

> > > The point is: there's no "KDE based on KF5". :-)
> > > There will be applications and workspaces based on KF5.
> >
> > Well, yeah, but mostly "made by KDE".
> >
> > Just like any Qt-based application is called in short "a Qt application",
> > even if it wasn't made by the Qt developers, I don't think we'll find a
> > better name than "a KDE application" for an application that is based on
> > KDE Frameworks 5.
> >
> > I like the idea of lib/kde-kf5/, it's shorter and clearer than than
> > lib/apps- and-workspaces-based-on-kf5/. But it really means "KDE KDE
> > Frameworks 5", i.e. it says KDE twice :-)
> >
> > Clearly we need to bikeshed further to find a name that works :-)
> >
> > Note that plugins, and by extension most use of servicetypes and services,
> > might all be obsoleted by the upcoming Qt plugin loading mechanism. We'll
> > still need a directory name for the "legacy code", i.e. kde4 plugin
> > mechanism ported to kde4,
>
> Is there some typo in the sentence above ?
> The kde4 plugin loading ported to kde4 ?

Sorry, I meant "ported to kde5". Possibly kde4support material, once the new
Qt plugin loading mechanism is available. (But we'll still need a name for the
directory that contains these plugins, qt5/kf5 based so not "kde4/").

> > but I think we can live with "kde5" as a legacy name there.
>
> Sorry, I don't really understand.
> Didn't you say above that you like "kde-kf5" ?

It says "KDE" twice :-)

But yeah, I don't have a better suggestion. That's why I said "clearly we need
to bikeshed more" -- this name is the "least worst" :) right now, but it's not
perfect.

What I meant with the last quoted line above is that if it's only legacy stuff,
then it will go away at some point anyway, i.e. it's not where we need to
concentrate our marketing efforts. However for the application desktop files
case, this is long-term stuff, not legacy.