KF5 Volunteer day 1: Done

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Mar 15 22:18:19 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Sunday 11 March 2012 09:14:41 David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2012 08:29:53 David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 27 February 2012 22:02:53 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > >    - Manual tests in: staging/kguiaddons/tests
> >
> > You mean staging/kguiaddons/examples, I think.
>
> Oh, you're right, I hadn't noticed that the directory structure policy had
> 3, not just 2, directories.
>
> "Code examples go into an examples subdirectory
> Automatic tests go into an autotests subdirectory
> Test applications go into a tests subdirectory"
>
> Funky. The line between a test app and an example app is quite thin.

It's definitely thin...

> Any test app is an example app imho...

And I disagree with that of course. :-)

They differ at least in intent, not the same care is given to the overall
structure.

> I'm not sure it makes much sense to split them, except if the idea is that
> an example app is a "cleaned up and commented" test app. I don't think we
> have any of these though ;)

I'm fine calling them all examples if that's what most people here prefer.
Indeed the frontier between both types can be fairly thin.

As for not having "cleaned up and commented test app"... We definitely have
those at least in solid. I made crude manual test applications back in the
days, but we also have nice examples splitted in several steps to be followed
as tutorials (they're sitting in kdeexamples ATM).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net