Porting the NETWM classes to xcb

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Thu Jun 28 16:10:17 UTC 2012

Sorry about my failure to properly snip message headers in my message
from Yesterday.
On 06/27/2012 22:32:13, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> OTOH, I know nothing about xcb.
> That's the replacement for xlib, right ?
> Maybe we can have a look in Tallinn...
>
> Alex

In Qt5, a new "xcb" plugin replaces Qt's previous use of xlib directly.
AFAIK, xcb is "middle-ware" providing a more simple API for xlib
functionality; it also creates some performance advantages by providing
some support for asynchronous operation and less "round-tripping"
between Qt and Xlib. The old Xlib plugin was removed in March, 2012. It
had some very obvious painting bugs, and also had many other subtle
"issues". I initially had some objections to removing it completely, but
I ultimately reviewed the xlib removal changeset with "+1".

The defect which Frederick has experienced is a packaging problem: In
the June, 2011 time frame, xcb divided the "utilitites" package into
separate packages for application-level utilitities (xcb-util) and
winder-manager utilities (xcb-ewmh and xcb-icccm). But, unfortunately,
the resulting bugs were not limited to simple incidents of "version is
too old". Many Distros created packages which CLAIMED to support the
split properly, but failed to do so.... because of header file
differences which I never figured out. (They problably involved fixes
for the xcb-icccm packcage). Often, a combined package (with a name like
"xcb-util-wm" will be built to contain both xcb-ewmh and xcb-icccm.

On my box, Fedora 17, the current versions and dates are as follows (and
they seem to work well, of course):

libxcb, libxcb-devel, libxcb-doc : 1.8.1-1
xcb-proto : 1.7-1
xcb-util , xcb-util-wm : 0.3.8-2
xcb-util-keysyms, xcb-util-image : 0.3.8-3

As you see, the libxcb and -util library Release Versions aren't "locked
together". And - I hope this was helpful for you.