Questions about porting away from kdeui classes

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Jun 27 10:08:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

lately I'm seeing an increasing number of commits that
port things away from kdeui classes, e.g. this one:

http://commits.kde.org/kdelibs/c87a6aa

I'd like to learn more about what is being done there,
as well as the reasons and goals.

For example, the commit in question feels deceptively
simple to me. KInputDialog spawns KDialogs containing
their own K* widgets, e.g. KLineEdit. KLineEdit has
a lot of features over its Qt counterpart, along with
integration with KDE's standard action shortcut system,
our spell-checking system, our TTS system ... from what
I can see, all of this is lost by porting to QInput-
Dialog, and I haven't seen any discussion or merge
requests compensating for this on the Qt side.

I've likely just missed something, could someone please
enlighten me ...?

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein