Windows patches

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Wed Jul 4 12:20:26 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

I am now half way through building kdelibs frameworks branch on windows.

Some things I want to mention:
- most unittests are console applications on Windows and so they need to
be linked against the stub library qtmain.lib. I committed a patch which
does this already for quite a lot of the tests etc. but since this ugly
and easy to forget it would be really cool if we could get this in cmake
itself and have a way to link against a stub library if a non-GUI
application is built (like a LINK_INTERFACE).
Since this will not happen before at least 2.8.10, I will fix this in
the ugly way for now.

- A lot of KDE libraries can be build without using kdewin (which is
kind of a posix compat layer), so I try to get libraries working without
it first. I won't succeed on all libraries though.

- due to the way our generate export header script works, some adaptions
are needed for building & linking static libraries (you need to set a
-D${TARGET}_STATIC_DEFINE=1). If possible this should be moved to a
property in cmake as well.

- we had a discussion about the output directories for binaries &
runtime components. In case kdelibs is built together (including the
tier1/2 libraries) that should be one directory (${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR} of
the root file). These directories can be set by setting
CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY & CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY. At the
moment the deprecated EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH etc. are used which should
be changed as well. (I hopefully will come up with a good patch soon.)

Please comment on these issues! ;-)

regards,
Patrick