Which package will provide the common KDE library version number ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 24 17:45:52 UTC 2012

On Friday 24 February 2012, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2012-02-23, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> >> I'd be fine with a "find_package(KF5BuildSpecs 5.3.0)", assuming the
> >> version number would be mandatory, as now there'd be no risk of a
> >> kwhatever 5.3.0 claiming to be a kwhatever 5.10.0.
> >
> > This can be done.
> > Then this line has to be kept in sync in all repositories in some way.
>
> So. We go from having a script to keep one line in sync across

It's more than one line:
* the version numbers of the projects themselves
* the required Qt version
* the required CMake version
* the required extra-cmake-modules version
* maybe more ?

Additionally this gives us:
* shared directory setup (others wanted to have this)
* a way to make sure cmake doesn't find a non-matching set of KDE frameworks
libraries (I want to have this, to keep the number of mails about wrong
libraries found small)

> repositories to another solution having another script keeping another
> line in sync across repositories.
>
> Either the "set(CURRENT_LIBRARY_VERSION 5.3.10)"
> or the
> find_package(KF5BuildSpecs 5.2.3).
>
> And by chosing the latter we require everyone to do complete lock-step
> upgrades.

What  is a lock-step upgrade ?

Alex